SwaggerCraft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forums have moved to http://swaggercraft.com/forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please visit the new forums at http://www.swaggercraft.com/forum
Main Website
Server IP
server.swaggercraft.com
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 264 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:22 am
Affiliates

Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration

Go down 
+19
TrevIzSick
UNDEADbladeMC
Wicked_Wazza
huntfirerun08
pogdoo
vongriva
Dro
jokaly
adamg355
BunkerGrenader
ttomss
GetKnifed808
samsizzle
ShepherdBook
ShaunDepro
Mash_Tactics
B1GBADW0IF
~Princess Cadance
LaserLag
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
LaserLag
Admin
LaserLag

Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Some time in the future I might regenerate the map. The reason for this is primarily because there will be a new jungle biome in the next Minecraft update. Obviously that biome will not exist on the current map which means I'd have to generate a new one for it to appear. And let's be honest, we all want kitties with all of our heart and souls. cat

I think how I'll go about handling this is installing, for a short period, a virtual chest plugin. I would install it a week prior to the map regen and leave it for a week after. This would give you the chance to deposit some of your items in the virtual chest so they will survive the regen as the items will be saved to a plugin, not map files.

This won't be for awhile but I just wanted to let you guys know my ideas for the future. Minecraft 1.2 isn't out yet and it will take time after that for Bukkit/plugins to update.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/#!/LaserLag
LaserLag
Admin
LaserLag

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:53 pm

When it comes time, I'll put up a poll Wink I know a lot of people love their bases and would rather keep that than have a new biome.
Back to top Go down
~Princess Cadance
Iron
~Princess Cadance

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:57 pm

How about everybody over a certain rank gets to keep a certain amount of chunks?
Back to top Go down
LaserLag
Admin
LaserLag

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:58 pm

~OrangeBox wrote:
How about everybody over a certain rank gets to keep a certain amount of chunks?

No. That's too hard.
Back to top Go down
B1GBADW0IF
Iron
B1GBADW0IF

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 5:03 pm

How about u put the old world for download, and we have to go in mcedit and select our base as a schematic and you put it in the new world? This would only be for donators ofc.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ri0TxFILMS?feature=mhee
LaserLag
Admin
LaserLag

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 5:06 pm

B1GBADW0IF wrote:
How about u put the old world for download, and we have to go in mcedit and select our base as a schematic and you put it in the new world? This would only be for donators ofc.

I will not copy bases from the old world to the new because it is too much work plus some people's bases just can't be feasibly transferred. Like big underground bases.
Back to top Go down
~Princess Cadance
Iron
~Princess Cadance

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 5:09 pm

LaserLag wrote:
B1GBADW0IF wrote:

I will not copy bases from the old world to the new because it is too much work plus some people's bases just can't be feasibly transferred. Like big underground bases.

Makes sense. If people payed you $100 though...
Back to top Go down
Mash_Tactics
Admin
Mash_Tactics

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 5:33 pm

~OrangeBox wrote:
LaserLag wrote:
B1GBADW0IF wrote:

Makes sense. If people payed you $100 though...

It's actually a donation.

He's not obligated to give anything in return. Anything given back is done out of the kindness of his heart.
Back to top Go down
LaserLag
Admin
LaserLag

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm so kind. flower

I think OrangeBox meant that I should charge $100 to save a base haha.
Back to top Go down
Mash_Tactics
Admin
Mash_Tactics

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Ahhh, okay. I see now.

A base isn't worth a hundred bucks, in my honest opinion.

With all the spare materials floating around these days, rebuilding it- no matter what it's made from- would only be a matter of time.
Back to top Go down
LaserLag
Admin
LaserLag

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 7:31 pm

It's worth it to me Cool
Back to top Go down
ShaunDepro
Swag
ShaunDepro

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Making schematics and moving bases would be to difficult, yeah. But what about adding jungles in the same way? Is it possible to take the 1.1 map - put it into 1.2 then add some jungles from a schematic or something from 1.2 - then all you have to do is smooth out the edges so it fits with the map with worldedit which is in the plugins. I did it for a singleplayer world, it comes out a little rough but it fits in alright. Just place them in areas where their aren't any nearby factions or bases.
Back to top Go down
Mash_Tactics
Admin
Mash_Tactics

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:16 pm

It's not nearly worth the effort. Copying chunk after chunk after chunk.

We wouldn't be able to do multiple chunks, considering that it would likely crash the server from modifying that many blocks at a time.

Also, you have to consider that we would have to put in more than one of these biomes. That's even more chunks.

And THEN there's the fact that biomes are generated. You cannot place them. The ocelots will not spawn, and the ground textures will be the same as whatever biome you just place these blocks in. For instance, you cannot turn a desert biome in a swamp biome. All you can do is make a desert biome with no sand.

Also, finding free areas near the spawn would be difficult.
Back to top Go down
B1GBADW0IF
Iron
B1GBADW0IF

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 pm

What I would do is leave the regular world and make a portal to the new world and people can transfer there items through the worlds. And you would keep it on for a week and delete the old world. The only problem I see is there might a lot of lag.
Back to top Go down
LaserLag
Admin
LaserLag

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 12:54 am

B1GBADW0IF wrote:
What I would do is leave the regular world and make a portal to the new world and people can transfer there items through the worlds. And you would keep it on for a week and delete the old world. The only problem I see is there might a lot of lag.

The virtual chest basically does the same thing...
Back to top Go down
ShepherdBook
Gold
ShepherdBook

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:10 am

Honestly, I think you are being overly kind by having a virtual chest for random-things. I like to think of a map refresh as being a chance to level the playing field a bit. Everyone starts over without too much of an advantage.

I would go so far as to say:
- For donors: They have access to a virtual chest and can store up to the amount they received in a donation. IE - they received 300 diamond blocks and 300 tnt? They can store that much in the chest. Anything besides what they received in a donation cannot be stored.
- For non donors - nothing.

There is something, certainly, to be said about knowing that everyone else is starting at the same level you are. I know, for example, that some factions could start a new map with so many resources that it would be almost ludicrous.

Would suggest keeping the mcmmo stats people have earned but items? Burn them.
Back to top Go down
B1GBADW0IF
Iron
B1GBADW0IF

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:14 am

ShepherdBook wrote:
Honestly, I think you are being overly kind by having a virtual chest for random-things. I like to think of a map refresh as being a chance to level the playing field a bit. Everyone starts over without too much of an advantage.

I would go so far as to say:
- For donors: They have access to a virtual chest and can store up to the amount they received in a donation. IE - they received 300 diamond blocks and 300 tnt? They can store that much in the chest. Anything besides what they received in a donation cannot be stored.
- For non donors - nothing.

There is something, certainly, to be said about knowing that everyone else is starting at the same level you are. I know, for example, that some factions could start a new map with so many resources that it would be almost ludicrous.

Would suggest keeping the mcmmo stats people have earned but items? Burn them.

No offense but FUCK THAT!
Back to top Go down
LaserLag
Admin
LaserLag

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 am

It would be too hard to monitor every donor's virtual chest and put a limit on amounts especially since some have donated multiple times. I think the simplest and most fair thing to do is to give everyone access.
Back to top Go down
ShepherdBook
Gold
ShepherdBook

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:28 am

Any plans on the users pocketbook? (IE /balance)?
Back to top Go down
samsizzle
Iron
samsizzle

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 3:41 am

fuck all the suggestions about moving bases over, that's lame as hell. Like shepherd said, its nice to have a regenerated map. Everyone starts fresh, excluding MCMMO skills. Because losing those would just be horribly discouraging. The people that invested the time into their skills should have those advantages in a new world.

Do donors get the items, again, that came with their donation in a new world?
Back to top Go down
ShaunDepro
Swag
ShaunDepro

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:27 am

It would depend on the person, but most people grind their mcMMO all they need to do is create a grinder. Not much effort goes into it but I agree that it should stay as normal. I'd like a restart, it's just that it has it's downsides that would annoy many players.

Previously in the 1.0 restart didn't donators get their items again? I'm guessing it would be quite different this time if it had the virtual chests.

I hope this time we get a nice map through, a big mushroom biome and a couple of jungle biomes.
Back to top Go down
GetKnifed808
Gold

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:53 pm

To be honest, the virtual chest is the best idea, but my question is how much space does it hold?
Back to top Go down
Mash_Tactics
Admin
Mash_Tactics

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:20 pm

GetKnifed808 wrote:
To be honest, the virtual chest is the best idea, but my question is how much space does it hold?

Since the purpose of the new map is to allow the new biome to generate, I would imagine it would be limitless... or, if not limitless, then it would have enough room to transfer a reasonable amount of things.

It's not like you REALLY need 6 double chests full of diamond swords.
Back to top Go down
samsizzle
Iron
samsizzle

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 9:04 pm

Mash_Tactics wrote:
GetKnifed808 wrote:

Since the purpose of the new map is to allow the new biome to generate, I would imagine it would be limitless... or, if not limitless, then it would have enough room to transfer a reasonable amount of things.

It's not like you REALLY need 6 double chests full of diamond swords.
TIMES LIKE THESE. YA NEVER KNOW. If we don't get to use the virtual chest thing, donors should get whatever came with their donations on map regeneration.
Back to top Go down
ttomss
Scrub
ttomss

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 9:32 pm

NEW PLAN okay so listen to this geneus idea how about you change the map but give us a like week notice to like pack our bags n bring them 2 the new world and we can destroy out bases so we can pack them up and rebuild GENUIS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration   Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts About Future Map Regeneration
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next